Manhole maintenance

Last updated on 18 October 2021

Urgent requests

  • If the manhole is currently a hazard/public safety issue, please report it to the City by calling 1300 4 CANNING (1300 422 664). You can call this number 24-hours a day for urgent/high priority assistance.
  • This will allow an Officer to respond with the highest priority.

Canning's responsibilities

  • The City is responsible for the maintenance of City owned manholes.
  • Canning assets are most typically identified by the lack of branding on them and will usually be stormwater drainage.
  • City owned manholes can be located via our mapping tool (click the check box for the 'Infrastructure' layer to display tmanholes).

Examples of Council stormwater lids

Examples of Council stormwater gullies

Examples of Council stormwater manhole cover

Other utilities manholes

  • Other utilities (e.g. Telstra, Water Corporation etc.) are responsible for the maintenance of their own manholes.
  • Other entities assets are typically identified by their branding.
  • If you are unsure of the asset owner, please call the City on 1300 4 CANNING (1300 422 664) so that an Officer can review the location on our mapping and determine ownership.
  • If the manhole is causing a hazard/public safety issue, please report it to that entity as a matter of priority. You can also report it to the City so that we are aware of the hazard - please call 1300 422 664.

Main Roads WA

  • While Main Roads WA is generally responsible for the roads and drainage on main roads, some of the City's stormwater pits exist within these road areas. If in doubt, please report it to the City for investigation.
  • Verges, footpaths and City stormwater drains are still the responsibility of the City for these main roads.

Raise a request

  • To report a manhole issue, please raise a request below.
  • An Officer will investigate within five (5) working days.